Sunday, July 4, 2010

Black Magic With a White Twist Technique

Sometimes cards take a long time to come together. I try to make cards with the recipient in mind, and sometimes that is tough. When learning a new technique, that can take awhile, too. Recently I came across this technique tutorial on Karen Barber's blog, Black Magic With a White Twist, and tried my hand at it. Please go look at Karen's beautiful work - mine is not representative (yet)!


I tried three different stamps with this technique, which is stamping with white pigment ink on dark cardstock and then colouring over top with pencil crayons. Karen's twist is to add little white pin dots to the design with a gel pen.



I think I overdid the dots on that last one! That flourish looks like it has a case of measles. I have only managed to make one of the samples into a card:


I am enjoying this technique and want to try it with other stamps. Karen's blog is full of inspiring samples and I hope practice makes perfect! Stamps: Scene - Stampin' Up!, Sentiment and frame - Waltzingmouse Stamps. Accessories: Spellbinders Labels Ten; White Versamagic Pigment Ink; Prismacolours.



7 comments:

Ruby's Girl said...

wow these are very pretty ! Good work!
Judy

Tolegranny said...

They are very nice. What makes it White Twist technique?

Crazystamper said...

These are very pretty! Cheers, Lora Sinkler-Lake www.crazystamper.typepad.com

Charmaine Stack said...

The white twist is adding the white gel pen highlights. I think the original Black Magic Technique was just colouring over the white stamped image. The gel pen highlighting is the added twist. Thanks for visiting!

SherylH said...

Very nice Charmaine. I have done the black magic technique as well but haven't had much luck with adding the white dots -- should give it another try.

Pauline said...

A very interesting technique, it reminds me of Romany Gypsy artwork, very floral and very striking.

Sara said...

What a great technique and what a great job you've done of it. I don't have any coloured pencils but I might see whether it will work with some other medium. TFS.

Sara xx