Tuesday, January 19, 2010


This is a card I made for a challenge on the CreativeCuttlebuggers Yahoo group. It was a simple challenge: use the D'Vine Swirls embossing folder. The card measures 4.25 X 11 inches. I die cut some hearts out of clear acetate using the Spellbinders Nestabilities heart set, then embossed with the swirls. I coloured them with Ranger Alcohol Inks, and highlighted with rub on wax in silver.

I edged them with Krylon silver paint pen following this simple technique of Sharon Johnson's: Krylon edging tutorial . I was skeptical, but it really works well. Previously I would cut a V notch in my Krylon paint nib to have a groove to run the cardstock along, but with this method it is not necessary.

The burnished pewter cardstock I used for the "i" and the "u" is a favourite small piece of scrap that I have been reluctant to use up. I die cut the letters using the Blossom alphabet set from Quickutz. The black background is a paper placemat!

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Seasons of Love

This was a personal challenge to create a Valentine's card using stamps from only one sheet, the Seasons of Love Tag set by Waltzingmouse Stamps.  A lot of the stamps on this sheet are Christmas specific, but there are some that are useful year round. The stamping was done in Versamark and then I dusted with various colours of Pearl Ex and Perfect Pearls. It shimmers IRL.  The button embellishment was a gift from my sister that I was eager to use. Thanks, Kim!

A Manly Valentine

An online group I belong to (Creative Cuttlebuggers) issued a challenge for a mingle: create a Valentine Card suitable for a man. This is the one I came up with. It has a vintage feel.

I clear embossed the heart and sentiment from Waltzingmouse Stamps and used Ranger's Fired Brick and Faded Jeans distress inks to color the white cardstock. Waltzingmouse Stamps has a wonderful assortment of clear stamps that are Spellbinders Nestabilities-friendly. The stamps I used here are from the Seasons of Love Tag Set.

I used my heart shaped nesties to cut and emboss the image and a matching scalloped heart. The accents are some pin-striped designer paper embossed with Swiss Dots and Technique Tuesday's Irony stamps with some gold Peel-off sticker dots. I hope the distress inks and the pinstripes helped keep this from being too frou frou feminine.

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy New Year 2010!

This is my first attempt at blogging. Previously I kept all my photos over on Picturetrail, but I am going to move to this blog if things go easy peasey.

I just completed a card for the Caardvarks New Year Challenge and wanted to try and post the photo here. There is a prize from JustRite Stampers so hurry over and enter!

The "Just Because" is a JustRite stamp. The Fleur de lis punch outs were made with an EK Success punch. The designer paper is 7 Gypsies and I am not sure what the stripe was - it was a scrap. Beneath the punch outs is a layer of tape with glitter applied in the burnished velvet technique, but the effect seems lost in the scan. Looks good IRL!

Well, I need to go shop around for some bling to dress up this blog!